Can I do multicast and port status output on SwitchBlox Industrial

– Copied from customer email –

I have some questions about the management options of the BB-SWI-B-1.

I tried the Aries software but couldn’t find a way to handle multicast traffic.

We don’t need to join groups using IGMP, we just need to block any multicast (or known destination IPs).

Is there a way to do this?

The other question is about reading ports status via I2C.

Is there a way this kind of information, even just to simulate the activity LEDs?

A slow update speed would be sufficient.

IGMP multicast (or any kind of IP awareness) is not possible on BB-SWI-B-1. IGMP multicast is possible using SwitchBlox Rugged + Rugged SOM. When stacked together, this system can provide IGMP and port management over a UART Command Line Interface.

Regarding reading ports status over I2C on BB-SWI-B-1, this is also not possible.

But I guess port status can be read over UART (although it would be slow).

Yeah it would be pretty trivial to just periodically send the commands that request port status, then read them back from the STM32 microcontroller.

Ultimately though, we’re sunsetting the ARIES software that runs on SwitchBlox Industrial, and migrating to BloxOSLite (the same software that runs on UbiSwitch)

It’s far better written and more stable. It’s built on Zephyr RTOS. In other words it’s a lightweight OS and so if we wanted to add a function that spits out port status periodically, it would be easy enough to add.