Powering Gigablox/nano switch with PoE

I’m trying to put a switch in a relatively remote location to network devices that have their own power supplies, but don’t want to have to run power with the network cable/break out the existing supplies. A fast or gigabit (preferred) switch will be fine. Are there any devices that are suitable for this, or is there a know PoE splitter or similar size to the units Botblox provide?

So what you’re looking is to power the switch itself over the data line? This is a bit different to typical switches where the switch is the one that powers other devices.

For clarity, the official terminology is that the PSE (Power Sourcing Equipment) is the “thing” that supplies power to the PD (Powered Device).

So to clarify, you’re looking for the switch itself to be the PD.

You could achieve this with GigaBlox Nano and a custom baseboard. Or you could use GigaBlox (Nano) and one of our baseboards, then use a PoE splitter like this.

Step 1: Inject voltage into one of the ethernet cables on one side using a PoE Splitter.
Step 2: Extract that voltage on the other side (in the remote location) using another PoE Splitter.
Step 3: Use that voltage to power GigaBlox Nano / GigaBlox on the other side

If you designed a custom baseboard, it would be more elegant, you’d need magnetics on the baseboard to extract the voltage then feed that into the power rail on GigaBlox Nano.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, thanks. I appreciate it’s an edge case and isn’t a typical use case.