General questions on GigaBlox SFP

– Copied from customer query –

I saw your gigablox SFP switch and would like to know a bit more about the production status and testing of the switch.

I was looking into using it for 4 IP cameras (max bandwidth approx. 20-25M compressed video each and a sensor up to 500Mb) and perhaps a second one for two other sensors with a required bandwidth of up to 800Mb total.( the sensors are sonar types and transmit a lot of data) I am not sure if the sensors use large jumbo frames than 9000, but will look into it)

Do you have any idea of the latency in the switch or if it we use the management in the switch to lower latency for the video streams and sensors?

Is it fully tested ( I can see the release date is 1 oct 2024) or is it still in the prototype/testing phase?

Heat and cooling required. (Heatsink required? Active cooling Fan?)

Connectors and LED available from the board.

SFP status or other status information via I2C bus or RS485, RS232?

Looking forward to hear a bit more about the GigaBlox SFP.

GigaBlox SFP is still early in development, we only have prototypes available and we’re probably going to change the design somewhat, In other words, I’m not really able to answer a lot of these questions without telling falsehoods! I’ll try to answer your questions best I can.

I was looking into using it for 4 IP cameras (max bandwidth approx. 20-25M compressed video each and a sensor up to 500Mb) and perhaps a second one for two other sensors with a required bandwidth of up to 800Mb total.( the sensors are sonar types and transmit a lot of data) I am not sure if the sensors use large jumbo frames than 9000, but will look int it)

Makes sense. We’re not sure if GigaBlox SFP will support jumbo frames yet.

Do you have any idea of the latency in the switch or if it we use the management in the switch to lower latency for the video streams and sensors?

The latency of an ethernet switch is variable and based on data load (anywhere from 100ns to 100us) unless you use timing protocols like PTP or QoS. We’re not sure if GigaBlox SFP can support those yet.

Is it fully tested ( I can see the release date is 1 oct 2024) or is it still in the prototype/testing phase?
Not tested at all, very much still in the prototyping phase.

Heat and cooling required. (Heatsink required? Active cooling Fan?)
Probably a small heatsink on the main chip will be needed. No need for anything else most likely.

Connectors and LED available from the board.

Probably no LED breakout for this first version. LEDs are on the board though.

SFP status or other status information via I2C bus or RS485, RS232?

Not sure yet, but we do have a 3.3V level UART signal on the board which we intend to use for this, but it depends on if it’s possible in the chip we are using.